The American Council of the Blind of New York, Inc. (ACBNY) is proud to award a one thousand dollar ($1000) scholarship and a five hundred dollar ($500) scholarship to qualified, deserving students.
Scholarship recipients must attend the annual ACBNY State Convention in Albany NY the weekend of September 29th-Oct.2nd, 2022. Expenses for travel, lodging and meals will be covered by ACBNY.
To be eligible for the scholarship, applicants must:
- Provide evidence of legal blindness in accordance with the New York State Commission for the Blind (NYSCB) criteria: https://ocfs.ny.gov/main/cb/
- Provide evidence of enrollment and good standing (passing grades) in a college, tech or trade school or other training program following high school graduation;
- Present three (3) letters of recommendation (cannot be a family member);
- Provide evidence of community involvement. This may be documented via one of your recommendation letters. Said letter or document must be clearly marked as such;
- Compose a 1000 word essay per the instructions below;
- All finalists must participate in an interview process;
- Applications and all documentation may be submitted by web-form, email or by regular mail in print or braille by June 15, 2022.
*ACBNY will not accept handwritten documents or incomplete application packages.
If you have any questions or comments regarding the ACBNY Scholarship application or submission process, please contact the scholarship committee chairperson, Ian Foley, at 716-892-1983 or by e-mail at email@example.com.
Thank you for your interest in the American Council of the Blind of New York (ACBNY). Our scholarship committee is composed of various professionals, including retired teachers. Please practice diligence in composing your essay, and review it for accuracy and spelling. We look forward to reviewing your application and reading your essay.
ACBNY Scholarship Committee Chairman