The American Council of the Blind of New York, Inc. (ACBNY) is proud to award a one thousand-dollar ($1000) scholarship to a deserving student.
The winner will be expected to attend the annual ACBNY State Convention in Buffalo (Cheektowaga), NY the weekend of October 15-18, 2020. The convention will be held virtually on the Zoom platform this year due to the COVID-19 issues regarding large groups and gatherings.
To be eligible for the scholarship, applicants must:
• Be legally blind in accordance with the New York State Commission for the Blind (NYSCB) criteria see NYSCB website: https://ocfs.ny.gov/main/cb/
• Be enrolled and in good standing (passing grades) in college, tech or trade school or other training program following high school graduation;
• Present three (3) letters of recommendation (cannot be a family member);
• Show proof of community involvement. This may be documented via one of your
recommendation letters. Said letter or document must be clearly marked as such.
• Applications and all documentation may be submitted by web-form, email or by regular mail in print or braille by September 11, 2020.
*ACBNY will not accept handwritten documents.
Applicants must write a standard format essay of no more than one thousand (1000) words encompassing ONE of the following three (3) topics:
- Why did you choose your major or program of study? What future goals do you have and how do you plan to accomplish these goals?
- Explain what methods you use for doing class work (reading and writing assignments, taking notes, etc.) and why you use the methods you do.
- What does advocacy mean to you? Describe how you have advocated for yourself or someone else.
- ACBNY will not accept handwritten documents.
- ACBNY reserves the right to publish, post and / or share the submitted essay in whole or in part.
If you have any questions or comments regarding the ACBNY Scholarship application or submission process, please contact the scholarship committee chairperson, Ian Foley, at 716- 892-1983 or by e-mail at email@example.com.
Thank you for your interest in the American Council of the Blind of New York (ACBNY). We look forward to reviewing your application and reading your essay.
ACBNY Scholarship Committee Chairman